May 15, 2010

Archie Shepp Quartet - Blue Ballads

barabara sounds sez:
All Shepp is good Shepp in my book. I just love the way he blows, the tone and timbre he produces, whether it's fiery and free or — as on this set laid down in 1995 — lyrical and soulful. He's got a great crew alongside him, and gets away with some singing on a couple of tracks too. My personal favorites are the opening number, Little GIrl Blue, and Shepp's beautiful take on the seminal Blue in Green (an extra track): if the version you know is the Miles/Bill Evans original, then this gives a whole new point of reference.
The only negative in my book is the cover (though it's actually restrained for the Venus catalog, which can sport some pretty erotique art).
One point remains unclear though: the album says the drummer on this date was Idris Muhammad; the discographies suggest it was Billy Drummond. You make your own mind up.

His sax playing... is nothing short of phenomenal. Proof that one can spend years exploring the outer reaches of an instrument's capabilities, and bring the knowledge gained into a readily accessible medium like these ballads. There are places in the music where it almost seems as if Mr. Shepp is letting the instrument play itself. For instance when he freely floats back and forth between octaves. On several tunes, he makes the instrument alternately sound like a trumpet, oboe, clarinet, and back to sax.

Blue blowing from Archie Shepp -- a great set of ballads from later years, recorded at a time when Shepp had stepped back inside considerably from his styles of the past -- but still brought a great depth of soul to his recordings! The tunes here are mostly familiar numbers, but Archie blows them with a tone and timing that's amazing -- an approach that's almost comparable to the late years of Coleman Hawkins, at least for its understated brilliance. Other group members are great too -- and include John Hicks on piano, George Mraz on bass, and Idris Muhammad on drums -- the last of whom is wonderfully restrained on the date. Titles include "More Than You Know", "Little Girl Blue", "Blue & Sentimental", "If I Should Lose You", and "Alone Together".

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like it as much as I do? You don't?
All comments gratefully received.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tumdizhuzdz

Wallofsound said...

Thank you.I don't know this one.

Mr. Baez said...

I just discovered your blog. Fantastic assortment. Thank you. Could I get you to re-up the Dino Saluzzi post. Would love to hear it.

taro nombei said...

@ Wallofsound

you're very welcome.

Anonymous said...

@ Mr. Baez

That one got taken (DMCA notification).
But if you let me know an email address — leave it in a comment, I won't publish it — I'll provide the relevant link.

Affonso said...

! as-bb.zip: CRC failed in 02 Blue And Sentimental.mp3. The file is corrupt

moxnix said...

thanks for the archie shepp blues ballads.did anyone else notice that julie newmar is on the cover, she was the catwoman in the batman tv show, thanks again for this one!!!

taro nombei said...

@ moxnix

LOL! catwoman clone... Close but no cigar, I think!


@ Affonso

No problem for me. Try again.

Jazz from Italy said...

I always loved the young Shepp, and even in this last period I found fascinating in his elegant blues, but this album is great.

I went once to hear your favorites, and Blue in Green is the best for me, and I felt deep emotion listening this version of Alone Together, that reminds me that of Chet Baker with Bill Evans on piano and Pepper Adams on baritone sax...

how strange, they were so distant and now I feel them so near ....

thank you so much, mate.

p.s.
also for me the track 2 is damaged, but those who feel they made me happy!

Newk said...

I've avoided Shepp from this era, especially the ones in this series with those awful covers. You've opened my mind (and ears) with your description, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

taro nombei said...

@ Newk
enjoy!

mk said...

Thanx for sharing. Unfortunately I could not extract track 02. Could you fix it pls?

Anonymous said...

@ Jazz from Italy & mk
track 2, specially for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gyqztlwozcm

mk said...

Great! Thank you very much the fix.

taro nombei said...

no probs!

cvllos said...

Taro, an exceptional Shepp & Hicks
Thanks for the choice & # 2 repost.
I had it corrupted too.

taro nombei said...

@ cvllos
glad you like it!

Jake Shields said...

Wow! Never knew this album I guess it is a partner to the Archie Shepp Quartet Black Ballads album with Horace Parlan, Wayne Dockery and Steve McRaven.

taro nombei said...

@ Jake Shields

I've never actually heard the Black Ballads album.
How does it stacks up in comparison?